Victory L.O.L. 137

On March 31, 1944, Victory Orange Lodge was instituted in the city of Toronto with twenty-four members, eleven by initiation. Leslie Saunder, Past Provincial Grand Master and then a Toronto alderman was the moving force behind the formation of the lodge. Installation of officers, with Leslie Saunders as Master, was conducted by Rev. W.L.L. Lawrence, Past Provincial Grand Master. The lodge's name was based on 1 John 5:4. Membership peaked at 122 in 1960. In its tenth year Bro. Saunders being Mayor of the city was honoured by the lodge.

Verner L.O.L. 1

Verner No. 1 was instituted as Saint John, New Brunswick sometime during the year 1831. It is said to have been organized under the authority of a dispensation given to them by one of the Military Orange Lodges then stationed in Saint John. The late James McNichol, long recognized as the 'Father of Orangeism" in Eastern Canada gave this list of those present when the lodge was organized: James Bertram, John Graham, Christopher Noble, Johnston Wilkins, James McNichol, James White, William White.

James McNichol, born in Ireland became an Orangeman in 1824 and emigrated to Canada, arriving in Saint John in 1831, the year Verner lodge was instituted. He was its first Worshipful Master, an office he held for seventeen years. During the first fourteen years of the lodge's history meetings were held at Mr. McNuchik and Sons, moving in 1845 to Nethery's on Church Street. The name "Verner" was probably suggested by Brother McNichol. The first seven or eight Orange Lodges in New Brunswick were probably organized under the authority of the Verner Lodge dispensation. Before the organization of the local Grand Lodge in 1838, Verner Lodge was always recognized as a superior lodge. When other lodges came into existence, they were numbered 1, 2, 3, etc. and it was not until 1838 that Verner became Number 1 and took its place as an ordinary Orange Lodge.

Verner Lodge has been in continued existence since it was organized and its history in writing goes back to that time, a record probably unequalled by any other Primary Orange Lodge in Canada. It is also the oldest incorporated Primary Lodge in Canada, having incorporated September 19, 1877. It has included among its membership a large number of prominent men both in political and mercantile lice, and has probably furnished more Provincial Grand Masters than any other lodge in the province. At the time this history was first published [1934], M.W. Brother J. Starr Tait, was the Grand Master and Sovereign of the Grand Orange Lodge of British America.

True Blue L.O.L. 11

This lodge was organized in November of 1843 with W.H. Needham as their first Worshipful Master. It met in the Prentice Boy's Hall on Guilford Street in West Saint John and many of its members have held high rank in the Order including David Hipwell, Past Grand Master of New Brunswick. Another member, J.B. Baxter, of the Supreme Court of the Province [he was also a former Premier of the province] presented the lodge with a large silk Union Jack which was carried in all parades. The lodge had a well equipped paraphenalia chest and owned many interesting documents including a certificate that was issued in 1857 in Tyrone, Ireland. The lodge also owned the sash worn by that gallant old Orangeman, Squire Monks, at the Battle of York Point, July 12, 1849. True Blue L.O.L. 11 amalgamated with L.O.L. 70 in 1967.

Newton Robinson L.O.L. 209

This lodge, based in Tecumseth Township, Simcoe County was originally founded under an Irish warrant in 1796. A new warrant was re-issued under the seal of the Grand Lodge of Canada on August 11, 1847. The lodge's first meeting place was in Doan's Howllow just north of Bond Head. A new hall was built in 1856 about halfway up the hill south of Newton Robinson on the east side of the town line. At an Orange Parade in Barrie in 1866 there were forty-three members of the lodge on parade. In 1871 the members marched to Bond Head and joined in with an Orange parade in that village. The Newton Robinson Orange Hall was moved into the village in June, 1886 by a Mr. Henry Sleight and was located west of the United Church on the north side across from the cemetery. The present hall was built in 1935 to the east of the United Church.

Graham L.O.L. 20

Many men prominent in the Great War were members of L.O.L. 20 of Fredericton, New Brunswick. The organization date of the lodge was July 5, 1844. This lodge has always stood for that which is in the best interests of the community, and many of its members have become prominent in different spheres of action. Among its membership in the past are included such a: Lt. Colonel Harry F. McLeod M.P. and Past Grand Master, Lt. Colonel Percy Guthrie M.P.P., A. Duncan Thomas Past Grand Master, Herman H. Pitts M.P.P. and Past Grand Master, R.B. Hanson M.P.P., Eric H. Clarkson Past Grand Master, and H.T. Brewer Past Grand Master.

Number 20 was well represented in the Great War by the following: Lt. Colonel H.F. McLeod, Lt. Colonel Percy A. Guthrie, Lt. Colonel Reverend J.H. McDonald, Major John S. Scott, A.H. Boddington, L.H. Smith, Elwood Kitchen, Robert Smith, W.E. Mercer, Harold L. Bunker, Ellis A. Bunker, Alexander Nason, Charles Peckham, Charles J. Vincent, William Preston, George Beattie, Henry Ryder, Isaac Burden and R. W. Gregory.

Havelock L.O.L. 27

Probably no other Orange Lodge in New Brunswick contains the names of so many outstanding citizens as Hoavelock L.O.L. No. 27, Saint John, which was at one time known as a stamping ground for all debates on any great provincial or municipal problem. The lodge was organized on April 8, 1868 by members of the Havelock Company of Volunteers who enlisted in 1866 to resist the invasion of Canada by the Fenians. The company was stationed at St. Andrews, N.B., and was under the command of Captain Sifron Goddard who was the first master of the lodge. Colonel Havelock was in command of the volunteers hence the lodge was named in his honour.

The late John Kerr Sr. was a volunteer under Captain Goddard and on his return to Saint John brought about the organization of No. 27. John Kerr was a faithful worker throughout his whole life and was looked upon by members as the father of the lodge. He gave the lodge its name. Havelock developed into a lodge that at one time had nearly 200 members. Composed of men like Dr. H. H. Morrison, Hon. C.N. Skinner and his three sons, Sherwood Charles and Hon. William Pugsley who brought in his two sons Thomas and William, Hon. H.A. McKeown, Dr. W.B. Wallace and scores of others it was a strong force in the life of Saint John. Havelock L.O.L. 27 amalgamated with York L.O.L. 3 in 1959.

Royal Standard L.O.L. 59

Royal Standard Orange Lodge in Brigus, Newfoundland was the first Orange lodge on Conception Bay. The charter is dated April 12th, 1869, but lodge records state that the lodge was in operation three years prior to this date at the home of Caleb Clarke, the founder.

It is believed that this lodge may be the only one in Canada to ever have a woman initiated among its membership, the wife of Caleb Clarke who refuese to leave her own kitchen one cold winter night so that the Lodge could be instituted. It was therefore agreed that she be initiated, given the degrees and made Tyler during the election of officers.

Charter Members were as follows:

Caleb Clarke -Master, John Clarke - Deputy Master, Thomas Spracklin, William Norman, James Spracklin, William Clarke, Nathan Clarke, Thomas Rose, Simon Roberts, Moses Bartlett, Noah Clarke

Equal Rights L.O.L. 32

This lodge was organized in Fredericton, New Brunswick on September 24, 1889. It was organized as a Soldier's Lodge and flourished for some years as such, but later all eligible Protestants were admitted. In 1907 the lodge moved to Nashwaaksis where they built a very fine hall. The following represented their lodge during the Great War:

James Day, Fred Drillon, Earl Harris, Fraser Merrithew, Harry Merrithew, Leslie McDonald, Archie McKeachen, E.H. Pugh, Lee Machum, Ray Pugh, Leonard Coats, H. Boyd, Maurice Boyd, James Weatall, Horace Pugh, Leonard Coats, Charles DeLong, Freeman Sanson, L.B. Johnston, James Williams, Gordon Westall, Arthur Waugh, Howard Peters, William Touchie, Frank Whitehouse, Edward McKiel, Lebaron Fraser, Guy Hawkins, Harry DeLong. Brothers James Williams and Gordon Westall were killed in action.

Beaconsfield L.O.L. 78

This lodge was oranized at Waterford, Kings County, New Brunsick on June 24, 1878, at the time when Lord Beaconsfield, one of the greatest statesmen of Great Britain, was at the height of his carry, carrying our a policy of imperial expansion. The charter members were: James A. Morre, who was the first Worshipful Master, Edward Chambers and William S.D. Moore who were formerly members of a lodge at Mechanic Settlement, Robert Richardson, William Armstrong, Edward Richardson, James McNutt, William Walker, William Anderson, James Chambers, Charles Crothers.

The lodge first met in a room in the second story of Moore's Grist Mill. In 1878 a lot was purchased from Brother R. James Robinson at the junction of the Cedar Camp and Waterford Roads and an Orange Hall was built there. Many Twelfth of July celebrations were held for a number of years by the lodge with great success. The band in those days was at Sussex and with Brothers and friends, was carried to Waterford by teams of horses hitched to heavy wagons and hayracks.

James L.O.L. 177

In order to start this lodge, located at Isle aux Morte, Newfoundland, interested people went to Channel and Burnt Islands and joined lodges there after which the transfers were made to Isle aux Morte, starting off their own lodge.

The Warrant is dated March 23, 1914, and is signed by one of the founders of the Association in this community, Mr John Huelin. The first officers were : Harvey B. Stone-Master; Cornelius Walters-Deputy Master; Robert Strickland-Chaplain; Andrew Coleman-Recording Secretary; Dominic LeFrense-Financial Secretary; Thomas Knott-Treasurer; John Neil and John Heulin - Lecturers; John W. Swift - Inside Tyler; Edward Lawrence-Outside Tyler.

The first meeting was held in the school room but plans were made to construct their own hall. In order to do this at that time the members got together and went in the woods to cut timber for the foundation and pillars. The whole job was done with free labour.

Newton L.O.L. 148

While the history of this lodge may not differ greatly from many other lodges in Canada it is the background against which the lodge was built that is of interest, not only to the Orange Order throughout Canada, but to historians in general, for it forms a link in an unbroken chain running back from the Canada of today to the England of 1694.

The first Orange lodge that met in this place, within two miles of the present lodge room, held their meeting under a Charter granted in 1703 to replace one granted in 1694 bearing the name "Colonial Patent No 6" and was granted, not from Ireland the supposed home of Orangeism, but from Guild Hall, London and was signed by Robert Ware and sealed with the Hestercomb Arms, and certified by the Great Seal of the Goldsmiths of Lombard Street. What became of this, no one knows. Two copies were made, one by Robert Sweet, a ship carver and master painter for Sidney Stockton, and one by Robert Pine, an artist and landscape painter for Wesley Stockton. The Sidney Stockton copy was photographed by Climo some thirty years ago, and was in the possession of Robert or Alfred Stockton. This charter was continuously used in the United States and was brought to New Brunswick by Lieutenant Andrew Hunter Stockton, the first man to be married in the City of Saint John, then called Parrtown. As it conferred the right to hold lodge anywhere in British America it must be conceded that this meeting on July 1, 1814, was a legal meeting.

In 1893 lodge met in what is now Union Street, under a warrant brought by Captain or Major Gilbert, and on the same night lodge was held under the Stockton Warrant in what is now Prince William Street. After the forming of the Loyal Orange Association in New Brunswick under warrants issued from Ireland, proposals were made to Gilbert and Stockton to turn in their warrants and receive warrants similar to the one held by Verner No. 1. This they refused to do and as they could not be compelled to do so the matter stood a subject of much heated controversy for two years. The members of the lodge, all being Loyalists and having joined in different parts of New England, and the southern states, continued to meet occasionally at different parts of what is now Kings County, others under the Gilbert Warrant at Parrtown, but they refused to initiate or receive any new members, and advised the forming of lodges under warrants issued by what we now know as the Orange Association. Most of the Loyalists who were Orangemen joined as new members, and those who did not join just continued to meet for old times sake under the old warrants once or twice a year, when enough happened to be together. Lieutenant Andrew Stockton continued to be Master of No. 6 and they never held an election of officers after 1815.

The next lodge was formed under a warrant issued from Saint John and met in the first school house at Smith's Creek, not far from the present United Church. It was composed of the sons of these Loyalist fathers, and Major Stockton was Master. This lodge saw stormy days and finally the charter was burned, and the lodge disbanded for reasons that need not be set down in history, but were good and sufficient, and for this reason the Lodge's name is withheld.

The next lodge was formed by the sons of the men who disbanded and was called "Rising Sun" and had Samuel Stockton for a Master at one time. This in turn went dormant and in 1907 the present Lodge came into being with Richard Witham Stockton for its first Master. This completed the last link in a continuous chain of Orangeism.

RETURN TO HOME PAGE: